A Step-By-Step Guide To Ant Control In Queen Creek
June 04, 2021 - Ants
This season at Quell Pest Control, we are thankful for family cookouts and longer nights out in the easy desert air. While some pests come and go with the seasons, ants may remain active all year, depending on the species. For Queen Creek homeowners, this means remaining vigilant against potential invaders year-round, as ants are not only a nuisance in the home, but may also spread harmful bacteria or even cause structural damage. Thankfully, active prevention is easier than you think. Read on for tips on decreasing your run-ins with ants this summer season - and onward!
Arizona’s Ant Population & Dangers
Although there are over 25 different species of ants that invade homes, all ants share similar body characteristics - including six legs as well as antennae. Ants are small, social insects who work in set systems of labor among their colony, which may include up to hundreds of thousands of individual ants. Identifying the specific species of ant you are dealing with is critical in learning the risks this pest may bring into your home.
People in Arizona will most commonly encounter the following species:
- Argentine ant
- Carpenter ant
- Crazy ant
- Harvester ant
- Odorous house ant
- Pavement ant
- Pharaoh ant
Those species of highest concern are perhaps of the carpenter ant, which nests in wood and poses significant structural risk, and the Pharaoh ant, which is one of the most notorious species to contaminate food with dangerous bacteria, including salmonella, staphylococcus, clostridium, and streptococcus. Pharaoh ants are even known to crawl into hospital patient’s mouths when seeking moisture.
The odorous house ant and pavement ant are also known to contaminate food. Because ants vary in danger depending on species, homeowners unable to confidently identify the species of ant they have in their home should call a professional pest management for positive identification and effective resolution.
Seven Easy Steps To Prevent Ants In Your Queen Creek Home
None of us want ants in the home, especially when such an invasion could transfer dangerous bacteria to unsuspecting humans. Quell Pest recommends the following to those looking to arm their home against ants:
- As with many pest concerns, deep cleaning is a great place to start. Wipe out cupboards and under heavy appliances and furniture.
- Eliminate access to food by storing food in tightly sealed metal or glass containers. Clean up any food or drink spills in a timely manner.
- Dispose of garbage regularly, and store all garbage in a container with a sealed lid.
- Eliminate access to water through regularly checking pipes and AC units for leaks. Use a dehumidifier when needed.
- Inspect the exterior of the home for potential access points, such as gaps around outdoor utility pipes, holes in the foundation, or tears in screens. Fill any gaps with a silicone-based caulk. Install fitted door sweeps for each door that leads outside.
- Clear yard of excess debris or vegetation to make your yard less appealing for potential ant nests.
- If you notice an overactive ant population around your yard or inside your home, contact professional pest management to identify the species of ant and best formulate an effective plan to safely resolve the issue.
Request Your Free Inspection In Queen Creek
No matter the scope of your concern, the best form of ant control comes with professional assistance. When dealing with an insect as persistent and potentially dangerous as the ant, it is always better safe than sorry. Luckily for our Queen Creek, AZ, neighbors, Quell Pest Control is a local, family-owned business eager to help your home become a safe haven again. Call today to request your free inspection to get stared with our residential pest control service. We're here to provide quality pest control in Queen Creek, AZ!