Nobody wants to share their space with rodents, and that includes Queen Creek residents. There’s a lot to know about these pests including, are mice rodents? And what do rodents eat?
Here’s what Queen Creek homeowners should know about the types of rodents you may encounter, how dangerous they are and the damage they cause, what attracts them, and how pest control in Queen Creek can help you control rodents.
What Are The Types Of Property-Invading Rodents?
While there are plenty of animals that may be categorized as rodents, including gophers, chinchillas, and hamsters, Queen Creek homeowners really only need to worry about a few kinds of rodent infestations in their homes, including:
- House mice - Capable of growing up to four inches long, house mice have dark, beady eyes, round ears with fur, and rounded bodies with light bellies.
- Deer mice - Often found in outdoor, rural areas, deer mice may prefer to live outside but will sometimes wander indoors when they need shelter.
- Brown rats - Brown rats, also known as Norway rats, are significantly larger than house or field mice at sixteen to eighteen inches long, including their tails. Their large bodies make it difficult for them to climb, so brown rats prefer to burrow or enter homes on the ground level.
Keep in mind that if you spot any rodent in your home – whether it’s a house mouse, deer mouse, or a brown rat – there’s likely more of them not far away. Rodents prefer to travel in groups, so you’re more likely to have an infestation rather than just one or two rodents in your house.
How Dangerous Is It To Have Rodents On My Property?
Nobody likes to find a mouse or rat in the kitchen or bedroom, but these rodents are more than just unsettling to look at – they can also be extremely dangerous and damaging to your home, and here’s how:
- They can damage your property. Rodents, especially mice, like to build nests when they infest your home. They may chew through insulation, wood, or plastic when they’re looking for a hiding spot or trying to build a nest.
- They can carry diseases. Some of the most dangerous diseases that rodents can spread through their urine, feces, or bites include hantavirus, tularemia, salmonella, and rat-bite fever.
- They can spread parasites. Rodents spend a lot of time in the wild, where they may pick up parasites like ticks, mites, or fleas. These parasites carry other diseases and can spread to your pets or family as rodents enter your home.
Not only do they spread diseases and parasites and damage your property, but rodents can also contaminate most or all of the food in your cupboards or pantry.
All The Factors That Attract Rodents
What attracts rodents? While rodents can sometimes end up in homes by accident, most rodents target homes. Some of the factors that can lure rodents into your Queen Creek home include:
- Leftovers, food scraps, crumbs, or even dirty dishes left sitting out in the open
- Excess clutter and other materials that allow rodents to create nests inside your home
- An easy water source, like leaky pipes, faucets, or other drainage issues that allow rodents to hydrate themselves
- Open trash cans outside your home may draw rodents
- The warmth and shelter that your home provides, especially during the colder months when outdoor temperatures are less forgiving
Ultimately, rodents are attracted to the same few things: moisture, food, and the warmth that your home has to offer them. Homes that provide easier access to food and moisture are big attractions for rodents.
How To Safely Get Rid Of Rodents In Queen Creek & Keep Them Away
Along with getting rid of rodent attractions, you can also take advantage of Queen Creek’s secret weapon for total rodent control: Quell Pest Control. Not only are we a family-owned, local business, but we’ve had several years to perfect our effective treatments and solutions for rodent control – including treatments for house mice, deer mice, and brown rats.
We’ll eliminate existing rodent infestations in your home and employ tactics to ensure these pests don’t make a second appearance in your Queen Creek home. If you’re seeing signs of rodents or have even spotted a mouse or rat in your Queen Creek home, there’s no time to waste. Contact us today at Quell Pest Control to learn more about our total rodent control services.