Dallas's Handy Wasp Prevention Guide
July 10, 2022 - Wasps
If you live in Dallas, then you know that wasps can be a huge problem. These pesky insects can be dangerous if they sting you, and they can also cause a lot of damage to your property. Quell Pest Control will tell you why wasps are such a big problem, and give you some tips on how to keep them away from you. We will also provide eco-friendly wasp removal tips for your yard, and we will show you how to remove an infestation if one occurs with pest control in Dallas.
Why Wasps Can Be Dangerous
There are several different types of wasps in Dallas, but the ones you're most likely to encounter are yellow jackets, hornets, and paper wasps. You can identify them by their black and yellow stripes, and they range in size from about ¼ to ½ an inch long.
These insects are dangerous because they can sting you, and if you're allergic to their venom, a sting can be life-threatening. Even if you are not allergic, a wasp sting can still be very painful and cause swelling and redness.
Also, wasps need to chew wood to build their nests for their larvae ("baby wasps"), and this can damage your property. They can also build their nests in trees and shrubs, which can cause the branches to break.
Three Natural Ways To Repel Wasps From Yourself
There are a few things you can do to keep all types of wasps in Dallas away from you:
- Wear bright colors. Wasps are attracted to dark colors, so wearing bright colors will help to keep them away.
- Use essential oils. Citronella, lemongrass, and peppermint oil are all effective at repelling wasps. You can apply these oils topically or diffuse them in the air.
- Use a natural insect repellent. There are many different kinds of natural insect repellents on the market these days. You can find these products at most stores that sell insect repellents.
Follow these tips and reduce your risk of being stung by a wasp when enjoying the outdoors.
Four Eco-Friendly Wasp Prevention Tips For Your Yard
There are a few things you can do to prevent wasps from taking over your yard:
- Plant certain plants. Wasps don't like the smell of certain plants, such as eucalyptus, mint, basil, lavender, and citronella.
- Remove any standing water. Wasps like to build their nests in areas of standing water, so make sure you don't have any stagnant water on your property.
- Keep your trash cans clean. Wasps are attracted to garbage, so make sure to keep your outdoor trash cans clean and sealed tight.
- Remove access to food. When eating outdoors, cover all food or return it back indoors after serving.
If you follow these tips, you will be able to keep wasps away from your property and reduce the risk of stings and property damage caused by wasps.
The Best Way To Remove A Wasp Infestation From Your Property
If you find a wasp nest in your yard, the best and safest way to handle it is to call an exterminator. Because of the safety issues that wasp nests can pose, attempting to remove them on your own can prove to be quite dangerous.
The best way to get rid of wasps in Dallas is to call a pest control professional to take care of the problem for you. If you already have a wasp nest on your property, Quell Pest Control can help you remove it. We use the best eco-friendly methods combined with targeted treatments and premium products for wasp control in Dallas. Don't let these pests ruin your summer fun — call us today and get started on our home pest control services.